A printer friendly version of the tariff is contained within the Information Pack.
Effective from 1st February 2022
(Also showing previous year’s details in brackets)
1. Scope of tariff
This tariff applies to performances of copyright music (including any words associated therewith) which is controlled by The Performing Right Society Limited (‘PRS for Music‘*) or any of the societies in other countries with which PRS for Music is affiliated, at:
- schools which are wholly or partially government-funded. ‘Schools’ includes all primary and secondary schools – or any combination thereof – including special schools
- independent (‘private’ and ‘public’) schools
- schools, when the school provides extended hours care for pupils
- nurseries, pre-schools or playgroups forming part of any school.
This tariff does not apply to:
- performances specified in section 34 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 as amended;
- ‘grand right works’ (‘dramatico-musical works’ and ballets), for which permission must be sought directly from the appropriate rights owner.
The following are excluded from the tariff and licensed separately by PRS for Music:
- performances at sixth form colleges, universities and other institutions of further or higher education, and their student unions
- gyms or leisure centres, in dedicated areas or buildings, open to individuals not associated with the schools and/or operated commercially
- featured music at events, or in facilities, run by a party other than the school or where any profit or benefit does not go entirely to the school. This includes, but is not limited to, concerts, festivals, theatrical performances, dance and aerobic classes
- any other commercial uses that could not reasonably be considered part of schools activities and would be licensable under other PRS for Music tariffs
- performances at any other premises
- performances at nurseries, pre-schools and playgroups on separate sites.
3. General conditions
This tariff is subject to PRS for Music‘s General Conditions Applicable to Tariffs and Licences, available on request from PRS for Music.
4. Royalty rates
Where the music user has applied for and obtained PRS for Music’s licence before musical performances commence, the standard royalty rate will be charged and payable for the first year of the licence.
Where the music user has not applied for and obtained PRS for Music’s licence before musical performances commence, the higher (standard plus 50%) royalty rate will be charged and payable for the first year of the licence.
After the first year of the licence, in either case, the standard royalty rate will be charged and payable.
The following rates of charge apply to all royalties falling due from 1st February 2022.
4.1 General performances
The annual royalty for each school, for a licence under this tariff covering school performances of musical repertoire controlled by PRS for Music (unless excluded above) such as:
for 201 to 250 pupils on the school roll at the start of the academic year, is:
|4.2 for each unit of 50 pupils thereafter||£20.93
|4.3 For up to 200 pupils (or part thereof)||£132.17
5. Value Added Tax
Every Licensee under this tariff will pay to PRS for Music in addition to the royalty due, a sum in respect of Value Added Tax calculated at the relevant rate on the royalty payable.
6. Inflation adjustment
Every year on 1st February the monetary sums in this tariff will be adjusted for inflation. The adjustment formula will apply to the standard rates, using the mean (to the nearest whole percentage point) of the percentages by which the Retail Prices Index and Average Weekly Earnings index (unadjusted) change in the year to the previous September.
September is the latest month prior to the anniversary date for which figures are published for both indices.
After application of the inflation adjustment the royalty rates are rounded to the nearest penny.
All royalties will be charged at the royalty rate in force at the beginning of the licence-year.
7. Information to be supplied by Licensees
Every Licensee under this tariff will, if requested from time to time, supply to PRS for Music or its authorised agent:
- a statement of the total number of pupils on the school roll at the start of the academic year;
- such other particulars as may reasonably be required.